Tranquillity and Qur’an


If there is one aspect in Islam where I’m extremely lacking it’s in the recitation of Qur’an. Yes, I can read it just fine but when it comes to recitation with the proper correctness and standard requires of this Holy Book my ability is close to appalling.

I’ve never been inspired to learn how to recite Qur’an properly, but after seeing this video by chance I suddenly realize why it’s so important. I suddenly understand why the angels, the jinn and the people who were not even Muslims were eavesdropping and listening whenever Prophet Muhammad or his followers recited the Holy Verses.


Even I who am only able to read and not fully understanding the meaning of what I read out loud with my very ugly recitation sometimes ended up with tears running down my cheeks. Thanks God it happened in the privacy of my room.

Al Barra recounted:
A man was reciting the verse of Al-Kahf and his horse was tied with two ropes beside him. A cloud came down and spread over that man and it kept on coming closer and closer to him till his horse started jumping as if afraid of something. When the morning came the man came to the Prophet and told him of that experience. The Prophet told him that was As-Sakina (tranquillity) which descended because of the recitation of the Qur’an.

To help understanding the meaning of the random verses recited to the people in the video. I’m providing the English translation of those verses as follows:

The verses for the first guy is from Al Fatihah:
1.  In the name of Allah the Most Gracious and Most Merciful.
2.     All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists).
3.     The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
4.     The Only Owner of the Day of Resurrection.
5.     You alone we worship and You alone we ask for help for each and everything.

The verses for the second guy is from Al Kafirun:
1.     Say O Muhammad to these Mushrikun and Kafirun: ‘O Al Kafirun’!
2.     I worship not that which you worship.
3.     Nor will you worship that which I worship.
4.     And I shall not worship that which you are worshipping.

The verses for the group of youngsters is from Al Falaq:
1.     Say: ‘I seek refuge with Allah, the Lord of the daybreak,
2.     From the evil of what He has created,
3.     And from the evil of the darkening night as it comes with its darkness; (or the moon as it sets or goes away);
4.     And from the evil of those who practise witchcraft when they blow in the knots.

The verses for the lady is from An Nas:
1.     Say: ‘I seek refuge with Allah the Lord of mankind;
2.     The King of mankind;
3.     The God of mankind;

The verses for the two guys is also from Al Fatihah. While the last verses for the homeless guy is from Yasin:

1.     Yasin;
2.     By the Qur’an, full of wisdom;
3.     Truly, you O Muhammad are one of the Messengers.

I hope the translation helps.

Comments